In response to the senseless tragedy in Isla Vista on Friday, May 23rd, 2014, the University of California, Santa Barbara campus cancelled classes on Tuesday, May 27th, declaring it a “Day of Mourning and Reflection.”
A memorial ceremony was held that afternoon at UCSB’s Harder Stadium. Upwards of 20,000 people gathered for this service, and KCSB-FM was there, airing live comprehensive coverage for those unable to participate in person.
A podcast of this KCSB News special program is now available below, for download and streaming playback.
- Leaders from the Isla Vista and Greater Santa Barbara Interfaith Community
- UCSB Chancellor Henry T. Yang
- UC President Janet Napolitano
- UC Board of Regents Chairman Bruce D. Varner
- Associated Students President Ali Guthy
- Richard Martinez, father of shooting victim Christopher Ross Michaels-Martinez
- Academic Senate Chair Kum-Kum Bhavnani
- Director of Fraternities & Sororities Kristin Van Ramshorst
Musical performances featured: carillonist Ethan Schwartz, UCSB Young Artist String Quartet, and a cappella groups Vocal Motion and BFOM
The broadcast’s anchors were Elizabeth Robinson and Avery Gordon (co-hosts of KCSB-FM’s public-affairs program No Alibis).
Justin Steinmann was Engineer, the Board Operator Kyle Trager, the Associate Producer Nathalie Vera, and the program was produced by KCSB News Director Monica Lopez.