Ahead of next week’s Fund-Drive edition of “The Freak Power Ticket”: an edited podcast of the Monday, November 4th re-airing of excerpts from “The Incredible Cinematical Musical Morricone Birthday Bash #1” from 2010.
Ennio Morricone’s 500+ motion picture and television soundtracks, and his other works, are regularly featured on this hourlong program.
• Ennio Morricone’s lost score for Mario Bava‘s Pop Art gem, Diabolik (aka Danger: Diabolik );
• the Maestro’s status as one of the greatest classical composers of our lifetime;
• his link to the rock-influenced improvisational jazz of Miles Davis;
• and the impact of Sergio Leone‘s Spaghetti Western masterpiece Once Upon a Time in the West (C’era una volta il West) – scored by Morricone — on a youthful Lucas in 1969.
The podcast features musical snippets by: Riz Ortolani (Mondo cane ); Ursula 1000; Mike Patton (Fantomas, Mr. Bungle, Faith No More); Italian pop divas Christy and Mina; and avant-garde hero John Zorn.
Producer/host Ted Coe also shares select film trailers and Morricone excerpts from the aforementioned films, as well as from The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (L’uccello dalle piume di cristallo .
Fund-Drive gifts to look forward to next week:
1) free subscriptions to Video Watchdog magazine;
2) digital copies of author Tim Lucas’ magnum opus biography Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark;
3) and album downloads courtesy of the Retro-Revivalist composer Umberto.
A second podcast featuring the first-ever appearance of “Euro Film Score” expert John Bender on “The Freak Power Ticket” (from 2011) is also still to come: Stay Tuned for That!