Of his next broadcast, host Dick Flacks writes, ”Last week, quite a lot of folks responded to my email message asking your support for ‘Culture of Protest’ and the station. Nothing is more heart warming to an old radio guy than to get returns like that from friends and relations. I’m filled with gratitude!
I’ll be on the air pitching tomorrow night again. If you’re up for support, send me a pledge on my return email so I can report it on air. Or—call in between 6-7pm pt at 805-893-2424, If you send a pledge I need your name, address, phone number and amount pledged so the station can bill you. In return for your generosity, I’m offering copies of some shows that may be of interest, signed copies of my new book on music and movements…and a brand new album of political song by David Rovics.
For a basic pledge, you can request one of the following recent ‘Culture of Protest’ specials:
- Remembering Rosa and Abe: features interview with Rosa Parks (its her centenary) and songs about her + the complete Lonesome train—the legendary radio cantata musically depicting Lincoln as an embodiment of grassroots populism
- Paul Robeson special: a program featuring Robeson;’s voice throughout the decades and his passionate speeches challenging racism and empire.
- Remembering FDR: Roosevelt’s second inaugural in its entirety makes interesting comparison with Obama’s + songs about FDR you might not know.
- Obama and King: Pres. Obama made a stirring speech dedicating the MLK monument—and we couple that with some fiery words of King’s plus songs that honor him on the King holiday.
We’ll play samples from all of these on the air tomorrow @ 6-7pm pst 91.9fm (www.kcsb.org). Or…we have:
- a couple of copies of David Rovics new CD: Meanwhile in Afghanistan.
- a couple of copies of my new book: PLAYING FOR CHANGE:MUSIC AND MUSICIANS IN SERVICE OF SOCIAL MOVEMENTS—co-authored with Rob Rosenthal
Any one of the above can be yours for a basic pledge of $50 ($25 for ucsb students). Any two for $75. All 4 of the ‘Culture of Protest’ cd’s for $100.Reply to this email. Or…please call 805-893-2424 between 6-7pm Thursday 2/21 or 2/28 to make a pledge (it’s great to get those calls!). Or pledge on line at www.kcsb.org.”
“Culture of Protest” airs on Thursdays during the winter from 6-7pm.